Are you ready for some football?!? The Toby crew definitely is! We’re stoked to see the new-look Card continue the amazing success of the last few seasons, and we can’t wait to see all our tailgating friends again.
Our first tailgate is coming up fast – RSVP here!
A few weeks ago, the Crew met up and talked about Season 3. We made some important decisions, which will affect how we run our tailgates and how you participate in them, so please read on! The Toby journey has been awesome for us, and hopefully for you as well, and we’ve put a ton of time and energy into this project. We’ve been having a blast and yet, at the same time, it’s been exhausting and even more work than it needs to be. We decided that we want to cut back slightly on the craziness that has at times prevented the Crew from enjoying the tailgates because we’ve been overwhelmed with so much to do. Here’s how we plan to do it:
- RSVP Required – as before, everyone and anyone is welcome at our tailgates. Now you just need to let us know in advance – preferably by the Monday of game week. If your plans change at the last minute and you’re able to show up, we’ll try to accommodate you, but we’re only going shopping for those that RSVP. Once a year or so, we plan to throw a big “open” tailgate where RSVPs aren’t needed but for the most part we’ll be expecting them.
- Early Arrivals – part of the stress comes from the majority of guests showing up very close to kick-0ff. We encourage you to come out earlier and relax with us. We may even have special food or beverages available only for those that show up 2 hours or more before kick-off…
- Clean-up schedule – we will follow the schedule below when we clean up the tailgate before every game. Make sure to arrive early enough to get food & beer before kick-off!
- 1 hour before kick-off: Grill shut off
- 30 min before kick-off: TV put away
- 20 min before kick-off: Tap shut off
Keep reading if you want to know more about why we’re taking these steps. Otherwise, we’ll see you on the 31st and throughout the season!
There are three main things that have added a ton of unnecessary stress & work to throwing Toby’s tailgates. First, not knowing how many people are coming. For the last two years, we’ve been simply guessing how many people we think might show up and then buying that much food and beer. When we underestimated we ran out, and when we overestimated we did our best to save things for the next tailgate, but we often had to throw out left-over food. We hate throwing away food since it’s a waste of perfectly good edibles and our money as well, and we don’t like turning people away from our tailgates much either! Asking our guests to RSVP should help alleviate this problem.
The second source of stress is that tons of people drop by our tailgate right around 1 or 1.5 hours before kick-off. This causes two problems – one, we have to rush to cook enough food for everyone and make sure that everyone gets something to drink etc. Two, we end up feeding and beering people up until the last possible second, then haphazardly throwing everything into the van and running to our seats to make the kick-off. Then, after the game, we have to take everything back out of Toby and re-load it properly into the van when we really just want to head home after a long day of tailgating. This is why we’re asking everyone to show up early and publishing our clean-up schedule. By coming early and spreading out your arrivals, you’ll make it much easier for us to ensure that everyone gets taken care of and that we have a chance to mingle with everyone. And by publishing our clean-up schedule, everyone will know that they have to arrive before certain times if they want any hot food or cold beer.
Come on out and support Stanford Football and the awesomeness that is tailgating with Toby!